Who Will Own the Forest? 13 is a 2.5 day event, beginning with an evening reception on September 12, conference sessions and evening reception on September 13, and conference sessions on September 14.
Continuing Education credits:
- Society of American Foresters
- Oregon Real Estate Appraisers
- Washington Real Estate Appraisers
- Oregon State Bar
- Oregon Certified Public Accountants
The 7th Forest Products Forum on September 12, 2017 will precede WWOTF13 at the World Forestry Center in Portland, Oregon.
The WWOTF Conference Organizing Committee is seeking presentation proposals for the session entitled “Timberland Underwriting and Investment Reporting.” The following are some topics we would like to have addressed in this session:
- Return drivers: what will drive timberland investment returns over the next 10 years?
- Performance Metrics: what are the most important return metrics investors should consider when evaluating timberland (EBITDDA yield, appraised value relative to purchase, internal rate of return since purchase). What metrics should be reported to investors?
- How robust a measure of timberland returns is the NCREIF index? When is NCREIF a reliable source of information about performance?
- What are best practices for fair value reporting to investors? How have these practices changed in recent years? How is fair value reporting being applied to debt and other non-timber components of timberland investments.
- How is the timberland asset class evolving? What timberland investment structures (public REIT, TIMO separate account, TIMO fund, direct) are most likely to grow in the future, and which are likely to diminish?
- Other topics of interest to timberland investors, managers, and service providers.
Prospective presenters are asked to submit a 1-2 paragraph summary of their presentation. Deadline: April 25. Preference will be given to presentations that are topical, prepared specifically for the conference, and which offer a unique perspective on an issue facing investors and/or managers of institutional grade timberland.
Please submit proposals and other speaking inquiries to Sara Wu at email@example.com. Speakers receive complimentary registration to the conference.
Other topics this year are likely to include the following themes:
- Softwood Lumber Dispute and the Impact on Markets
- Institutional Investor Perspectives
- Politics and Regulatory Affairs
- Developing the Forest Investment Talent Pool
- Forest Technology
- International Investing and Markets
- Foreign Ownership Challenges
- Forest Carbon Offset Markets
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
5:00 – 8:00 PM: Opening Reception at WFC Discovery Museum
Enjoy cocktails, refreshments and hors d’oeuvres inside one of Portland’s major tourist attractions, the World Forestry Center’s Discovery Museum.
The opening reception has become a must-attend event, a great way to meet up with clients and old friends before the conference session starts the following day.
Reception is open only to those registered for either WWOTF or The Forest Products Forum.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Side-event: Women in Timber
7:30 – 9:00 AM Women in Timber Breakfast Social in Mount Hood Rm of Museum
Ladies, please join us for a networking event sponsored by hosts Sutherland and Schwabe.
Event is free with conference registration.
7:30 – 9:00 AM Registration in Miller Hall
9:00 AM – 6:00 PM Speaker Sessions
Session 1: Macroeconomic Issues in the Forest Sector
Panel Discussion: US-Canadian Lumber Trade and the Impact on Markets
Moderated by Kevin Mason, ERA Forest Products
Session 2: Investor Perspectives
Panel Discussion: Institutional Investor Concerns
Moderator Biff Ourso, TIAA-CREF
• Colin Butterfield, Harvard Management Company
• Others TBA
Session 3: Timberland Underwriting, Structures and Investment Reporting
See request for proposals above
Session 4: Politics and Regulatory Affairs
Session 5: Who Will Manage the Forests? A Date with the Deans
Moderator Jeffrey Siegrist, Jeffrey M. Siegrist & Company
• Dale Greene, University of Georgia
• Thomas Maness, Oregon State University
• David Newman, State University of New York
Session 6: Forest Technology and Silviculture
Moderator Anthony Davis, Oregon State University
6:00 – 8:00 PM Reception in Plaza
Thursday, September 14, 2017
8:30 AM – 3:00 PM Speaker Sessions
Session 7: International Investing
Foreign Ownership Challenges
Moderator MaryKate Bullen, New Forests
Other Presentations TBA
Session 8: Carbon Markets or Other Topics
3:00 – 4:00 PM Closing Reception
Enjoy locally crafted beer and snacks in Miller Hall Foyer.
Want to be a sponsor? Find details on our Sponsorships page.
Join us a day earlier for the Forest Products Forum and see what they’re talking about:
“Will attend again.”